Sunday 23 October 2011

PcWorks Symphonica for HD650 tested.

Sorry, but the SPL Auditor still requires time for me to gather enough information before releasing them. It’s going to be a long review. For now you just have to read the PcWorks Symphonica cable reviews. This review is actually an audition of the Symphonica cable in Jaben’s store so the final outcome may have slight differences. Please take this review with a grain of salt.

A lot of people especially the lowyat forum members like this cable a lot. They always reply being poison by Sennheiser HD650 recabled with PcWorks Symphonica cable and Lavry DA11 after demo them. But for me I may be a bit different because I’m not really poisoned by the Symphonica cable and prefer the stock cable over the Symphonica. Well I’m not the type that always gets overhype by a certain technology or products. I still remain neutral when it comes to audiophile stuffs. This will be further explain in My Philosophy and Ideology of Sounds and I~Part 2 that will be posted later on to further explain about myself.

In this review I’m not going to criticize about the PcWorks HD650 Symphonica Cable but instead I’m going to give a round of applause to him for his great works. PcWorks uses his Sonus Faber speaker as the reference point when making and fine tuning this cable. I have no experience in the speaker so I won’t comment about them.

The material for the cable include two HD650 two pin cardas plug made with rhodium (a very expensive material), some RM580 +- cable, expensive silver solder and things that I might not know about. So when you complain this cable is expensive try to think again.

The sound signature of the PCWorks Symphonica cable is very neutral and has a more forward mids than the stock cable. The forward mids is still not up to the level of hitting your face yet. It is still quite well spaced in a more neutral position. The forward mids helps in bringing the singer closer to you especially the female vocals that requires a forward sound for better intimacy than the male vocals. Well maybe that’s because I’m a male and like the intimacy of a female or it might also be the nature of the female vocals which will sound better when they are more intimate when compare to male vocals. Who knows for what reasons it is like this? As long as it sounds good, just take it back.

The highs are much better and well defined when compared to the stocks. No more piercing high. You won’t be getting the same warm fat kick down in the lows like the stock cable anymore because of the more neutral sound signature.

The detail level is also higher than the stock cable. The details are very revealing. The level of detail and sounds is like taking out the full potential of the HD650. Just imaging that you have just changed your DAC instead of changing an amplifier. The easy drivability of the units also makes it feels like you are not just changing your DAC but a DAC and Amp combo. But you will still need an amplifier for it to sound better. This can be budgeted later when you have more money later on. This is how the Symphonica sounded to me.

If it is so good why I don’t like it? Well I’m a person who prefers a warm and dark sound. And with the stock cable I find it to be more suited for me. They have a very dark laid back sound and have plenty of warm bass in it. The neutral sound signature make the HD650 lacks the sound that makes HD650 special. They totally change the HD650 around into a new headphone. Although I’m more biased towards the stock cable but there is one problem with the stock cable that I do not like. They have more treble quantity than the Symphonica and the treble is not as well defined as what the Symphonica can produce.

The designer recomend that the cable should be used with a neutral amplifier to get the best out of it. Some of the amplifier tested by community to works best includ hippo amp, govibe PPK and the high end Lavry DA11 especially the PcWorks' Moded Lavry DA11.

So what are you waiting for? Go get it tiger. You get to bring home two different headphone by just changing the cable.

The pricing is RM999 if you bought the Sennheiser HD650 from jaben and if you bought your Senheisser HD650 from somewhere else, then the price of the cable is RM1300
Link for purchase and contacts: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

2

My blog has moved to a more professional website. Sorry for any inconvenience because I'm unable to link post by post. Please do a search at my new website for the post you are looking for.

3

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.geeksreviews.net
and update your bookmarks.

4