Monday 19 December 2011

My Philosophy and Ideology of sounds and I~Part 2

My Philosophy and Ideology of sounds and I~Part 2
I’m not going to be like any average reviewer that you saw or read on audiophile forum and maybe even in other websites. I’m just going to be as neutral as possible and try to write honest reviews of things that I hear and I did not hear. And I will not get myself overhype over a new product or new technology like other reviewer so this is definitely not going to be a factor of making me bias in my reviews. It’s not that I won’t bias over a certain sound signature because I also do favor over certain sound but I won’t be bias against new stuffs.

Remaining neutral is very important in the audiophile world especially when you are trying to write a reviews. This bias level will cause mistake to not just only yourself but also to the readers that read your reviews. So as a reviewer or a user of audiophile products, we should not get ourselves so hype over something like a new technology or new products. If it is good then put it as good and if it is bad just label them as bad in your own term. You don’t need to be so jumpy about them and try to write a good honest review to help others in search of their headphones.

Here is my personal preference of sound. I have a higher tolerance for warm sound. So my bias level is more towards warm sounding system and hated system that sound bright. With that, a system that sound bright to me might sound neutral to you and a system that sound neutral or mildly warm to me may sound very warm for you. When compared to Headfonia (My favorite reviewer) he has a lot of similarity with me, and maybe in the exception of the warm resistance. There are many things that I can hear just like how he describes it, but if you ask me to describe those sounds might be an issue for me even if I can hear it. But I will try my best to describe them as close to what I hear as possible and it is not going to be an indication that the reviews in this blog will represent the final sound that you will or will not hear. Here you can also see that when using him as a reference point, people have different bias level and this may affect the final outcome of the review. It is not about who is right or wrong, but how far the reviewers taste suits you. I find headfonia taste suits me the most among the reviewers I’ve read so far.

By the way, I also hate modern song because of the Loudness War as well as the issue of poor bass reproduction. I’m not that sure why many reviewers still like to include those songs when reviewing the bass part and still can give a good review to bassy headphone/IEM when it is so obvious that the bass on those songs are bloated and unnatural. Anyway I will still include those songs for reviewing if I have it but I will not state the title of the songs because I need to take a wider range of songs to reviews on the bass to get an overall view instead of focusing on it alone like how others do.

Besides that I also find that listening at different volume will affect some of the reviews. Just to let you know I’m a low volume listener, and I’m sure there are still some that listen at much lower volume than me so I’m still not the lowest volume listener. I find that there are still many that listen at higher level especially when I went to my audio shop to purchase headphone and listening to the person sitting next to me with their volume knob turn up so high. I always have to turn the volume down if I am listening to the same setup as the other persons have auditioned. These differences in listening level can affect the final outcome to a certain degree. Different level listening will show how much stress that you put on the drivers or how far the drivers are underpowered. Treble performance and bass punch are the most highly affected frequency when it comes to volume. Besides that, the high volume level listening might be the cause of the issue that I faced for not being able to hear distortion that others have found. Remember distortion most often happened when your headphone is underpowered and may not be a sign of poor design unless it really is a flaw in the design. So a low level listening is more likely to be unable to hear distortion on the headphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2

My blog has moved to a more professional website. Sorry for any inconvenience because I'm unable to link post by post. Please do a search at my new website for the post you are looking for.

3

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.geeksreviews.net
and update your bookmarks.

4